Vehicle Data Device - Light Duty Professional Installation Guide
This guide covers VDD installations into Light/Medium duty vehicles using the following methods. Read and follow the instructions to properly install the Vehicle Data Device.
The engine must be OFF when installing the Vehicle Data Device.
- Y-Cable Installations
- Extension cable installations
- Direct to OBD-II port installations (no harness cable)
- Reveal Hardware Installer Installation Verification
Capture the device’s IMEI before performing installation, not the ESN/serial number. A short single beep indicates the device is receiving power.
Verify installation using the Reveal Hardware Installer app or by calling the Reveal Technician Support line at (866) 908-1165. You may download the Reveal Hardware Installer application for iOS and Android at the Apple App store and Google Play store.
Y-cable kit contents
- Vehicle Data Device (VDD)
- OBD-II Y-cable (approx. 9ft)
- Core connector and Mounting adapters
- 14” zip ties (x2) and 8” zip ties (x4)
Cable and adapter assembly
A. OBD-II Replacement Connector end - This end plugs into core connector (E) and mounting adapter (F) after you assemble them
B. Bypass Connector - Plug this into the vehicle’s OBD-II port
C. Fuse holder with replaceable 3 amp fuse
D. VDD Harness Connector - Plug this end into the VDD
E. Core Connector - Snap into place inside the mounting adapter
F. Mounting Adaptors - Most customers will receive a default mounting kit that includes only adapters #1 and #2 along with the core connector.
Some year, make, models are equipped with OBD-II port shapes that do not match the default mounting adapters. These vehicles require an additional set of adapters which will be identified during the pre-sales process and shipped accordingly. Technicians must remember to check packaging for additional adapter types #3-9 when installing into vehicles with port styles not covered by the default kit.
Note on Adapter #2: Certain vehicles may require trimming the stop tabs located on the top and bottom of the adapter to properly seat into the mounting bracket.
Y-cable installation steps
- With the vehicle’s engine off, remove the vehicle’s OBD-II port from its mounting bracket by depressing the release tabs or by removing the screw/nuts holding it in place.
- Choose the mounting adapter that matches the vehicle’s OBD-II port and insert the core connector into the adapter until it snaps into place to create the replacement OBD-II port.
- Plug the cable’s OBD-II replacement connector end into the back of the OBD-II replacement port.
- Mount replacement OBD-II port in place of the vehicle’s original OBD-II port.
- Plug the vehicle’s OEM port into the bypass connector.
- Plug the VDD into the cable’s harness connector end. A short single beep indicates the device is receiving power.
- Secure the VDD
Locate a stable mounting location in the dash area or behind the instrument cluster, such as a wire bundle or bracket, and secure the device using zip ties or two-sided VHB to prevent generating erroneous harsh driving evens. If you use VHB tape take care not to cover the label. VHB tape will peel the label and make the IMEI unreadable.
Avoid mounting the device directly under metal surfaces which can block signal. Secure the device and cabling safely away from interfering with the driver and normal operation of the vehicle.
Installations using an OBD-II extension cable
A. Connect this end to the OEM OBD-II port
B. 3 amp fuse holder
C. Connect this end to the VDD
- With the vehicle off, locate the OBD-II port and plug in the port side of the cable.
- Route the remaining cable end to where you intend to mount the VDD and plug it in. Conceal the harness behind the dash as much as possible. A short single beep indicates the device is receiving power.
- Locate a stable mounting location in the dash area or behind the instrument cluster, such as a wire bundle or bracket, and secure the device using the provided zip ties or two-sided VHB tape to prevent generating erroneous harsh driving events. If you use VHB tape take care not to cover the label. VHB tape will peel the label and make the IMEI unreadable.
Avoid mounting the device directly under metal surfaces which can block signal.Secure the device and cabling safely away from interfering with the driver and normal operation of the vehicle.
Installations directly in to an OBD-II port
- With the vehicle off, locate the OBD-II port and plug in the device. A short single beep indicates the device is receiving power.
Reveal Hardware Installer installation verification
- Select the work ticket from the work ticket list.
- Scan the barcode located on the box or back of the device. If you are unable to scan the code, manually enter the ESN or IMEI number and tap SEARCH.
- Choose Installation - Multiple Devices at the Select Service screen then tap Continue.
- Go to the Account section and tap Device Setup, then Vehicle Tracker to select the device you want to install.
- Select the vehicle you want to track then scan the IMEI barcode located on the back of the device. Manually enter the IMEI number and tap SEARCH if you are unable to scan the barcode.
- Scan the VIN to enter the vehicle's year, make, model or manually enter the info and tap Next.
- Verify the vehicle details then tap Confirm or tap the pencil icon to edit details.
Note: In some older vehicles, the RHI app will report the device will only operate in GPS mode, tap Confirm to proceed. These vehicles will still be tracked and receive harsh driving alerts, but some features, such as odometer readings and vehicle DTC's are unavailable.
- Tap GET STARTED at the Welcome screen. Select how the device will be connected to the diagnostic port, i.e. directly on the diagnostic port or by using an OBD-II Extension harness or Y-cable at the How do you want to install your device screen. Once you have installed the device tap SKIP TO CONNECT VEHICLE.
- Tap Connect once the device is recognized and the vehicle information correct.
- Tap Edit Vehicle Profile to pull up the Vehicle Identity screen and enter additional vehicle information on while waiting for the device to connect.
- Vehicle name (mandatory)
- License Plate info
- Year, Make, Model
- Fuel type
- Once the vehicle is successfully connected it appears on the map with a pop-up that says Vehicle Connected. Choose COMPLETE SETUP and tap CLOSE to complete the installation.